Description de poste
Contractual Arrangement: Fixed-Term Appointment
Contract duration: Two (2) years – Extra-budgetary position established for an initial duration of two (2) years. Any extension subject to availability of extra-budgetary funding.
Job Posting: Dec 14, 2017, 2:31:29 PM
Closing Date: Jan 22, 2018, 11:59:00 PM
Primary Location: France-Lyons
Organization: IARC WHO Classification of Tumours
PURPOSE OF THE POSITION
Under the supervision of the Head of the WHO/IARC Classification of Tumours Group (WCT) and the Head of the Section of Evidence Synthesis and Classification (ESC), the incumbent to this new position of Pathologist with the WCT Group:
- Works in close cooperation with other pathologists and staff within WCT in order to provide pathology evidence evaluation and synthesis for the WCT Group and WHO Blue Books;
- Provides pathology expertise and support to the Agency; and
- Undertakes research in collaboration with other IARC staff and external researchers.
OBJECTIVES OF THE PROGRAMME
The objective of the WCT Group is to improve the classification of tumours for diagnosis, epidemiology and cancer research. WCT is responsible for the preparation and publication of the WHO Classification of Tumours series (WHO Blue Books), which are the international standard of histopathological and genetic classification of human neoplasms.
- IARC provides a timely, definitive synthesis and evaluation for tumour classification based on expert consensus review of reproducible peer-reviewed published evidence.
- The WHO Blue Books provide the user with a unique synthesis of histopathological diagnosis with digital and molecular pathology to guide cancer diagnosis. This underpins individual patient treatment, as well as research into all aspects of cancer causation, prevention, therapy, and education.
- The WHO Blue Books are available in multiple formats to meet the needs of users in low, middle and high income countries.
More information about the WCT Group at IARC can be found at the following link:
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES
Under the overall supervision of the WCT Group Head and ESC Section Head, the key duties of the incumbent are as follows:
1. Provide pathology support required to produce the WHO Blue Books. Specific tasks include the following:
. Participating in the development of leadership, coordination and management of the WHO Blue Books and the WCT Group;
. Assisting in the choice of editors and contributors for the WHO Blue Books;
. Participating in WHO Blue Book editorial board meetings;
. Assisting contributors in developing their content for the WHO Blue Books, including generation and annotation of images suitable for publication;
. Working with Layout editorial staff within IARC to ensure the accuracy of the WHO Blue Books;
. Assisting in the production of high quality online content for the WHO Blue Books.
2. Develop research in collaboration with the WCT Group in tumour classification using computational pathology methods based on whole slide imaging, and/or systematic review.
3. Contribute to pathology support within IARC for existing research groups, including:
. Advising groups within IARC on research needs relating to pathology, including pre-analytical and analytical methods relating to tissue, cytology, blood and other sample types;
. Reporting cytology, histology and immunohistochemistry (for research only);
. Image analysis of histology and immunohistochemistry.
. Supervise and train junior staff, as well as visiting pathology fellows, within WCT and more widely across IARC.
. Undertake training to stay abreast of enhancements and developments in relevant technology and best practices.
. Write research grant applications with a view to attracting research funding from competitive sources.
. Travel as necessary to WHO Blue Book Editorial Board meetings and Research Conferences, as agreed with the Head of WCT.
Degree in medicine as well as board certification or fellowship permitting diagnostic histopathology practice.
Postgraduate degree (e.g. Masters, MD, or PhD) in biomedical research.
At least five years’ experience in diagnostic pathology at a senior level.
Research and teaching experience in pathology.
The functional skills listed below are all essential.
Diagnostic abilities in cytology and molecular pathology would also be desirable:
. Diagnosis of histological and cytology using slides or images.
. Process management skills suitable to the WHO Blue Books process – deciding on contributors, quality of contributions and images, and any additional information required.
. Ability to prioritize tasks during WHO Blue Book production.
. Research skills including planning, execution, reporting and presentation of research to international conferences and peer-reviewed scientific journals
. Ability to advise WCT group and IARC on pathology matters, including WHO Blue Book layout, and electronic content.
. Ability to understand and mitigate risks to the WHO Blue Book process.
. Proven ability to write grant applications.
. Publication record of original research in peer-reviewed journals
Required WHO competencies:
. Demonstrate technical knowledge and expertise
. Foresee communication needs of audience and targets message accordingly
. Welcome team responsibilities and drive team results
. Draft and support the development of guidelines, policies and procedures
. Work constructively with people from different backgrounds and orientations
. Align projects with Organization’s mission and objectives
. Engage in positive responses to a changing environment
Expert knowledge of English with at least a basic level of French.
WHO/IARC salaries for staff in the Professional category are calculated in US dollars and expressed net of tax. The remuneration for the above position comprises an annual base salary of USD 58583 (subject to mandatory deductions for pension contributions and health insurance, as applicable) plus a variable post adjustment which reflects the cost of living in a particular duty station and currently amounts to USD 2397 per month for Lyon, France. Other benefits include 30 days of annual leave, allowances for dependent family members, home leave, and an education grant for dependent children.
• It is mandatory to attach a full list of publications. To add this list, please go to your profile under the dedicated "publication" tab.
• All candidates are strongly encouraged to add a cover letter to their online application.
• Candidates called for interview will be expected to give a seminar.
• This vacancy notice may be used to fill other similar positions at the same grade level.
• Only candidates under serious consideration will be contacted.
• Any appointment/extension of appointment is subject to WHO Staff Regulations, Staff Rules and Manual.
• For information on WHO's operations please visit: http://www.who.int .
• WHO/IARC is committed to workforce diversity. Applications from women are particularly encouraged.
• WHO/IARC has a smoke-free environment and does not recruit smokers or users of any form of tobacco….
Continuous Improvement & Excellence Leader H/F - SBS001681 Solvay is a multi-specialty chemical company committed to developing chemistry that addresses key societal challenges. We innovate and...
Le contenu du poste est libellé en anglais car il nécessite de nombreuses interactions avec nos filiales à l’international, l'anglais étant la langue de travail. As a member of the Global...
We are seeking a highly motivated medical doctor / PhD Scientist to join the Global Clinical Sciences team of Sanofi Pasteur. Within Sanofi Pasteur Research and Development, and more specifically...
Job Details New Search Return to Search Previous Job Next Job Send to a Friend Job 449 of 1000 Business Development Director - Central Labs Company: ProClinical Ltd Location: Lyon Reference:...
Field Engineer Seismic Networks - Geoservices ( Job Number: 1818701) Field Engineer Seismic Networks - Geoservices Saint-Tuille, France About Us: Baker Hughes, a GE company (NYSE:BHGE) is the...
Customer Service Agent (m/f) [Assistant Commercial h / f ] Location: Lyon Job Code: 5314 # of Openings: 1 Description Customer Service Agent (m/f) [Assistant Commercial h / f ] We have a...
Continuous Improvement & Excellence Leader H/F - SBS001681 Solvay is a multi-specialty chemical...
Le contenu du poste est libellé en anglais car il nécessite de nombreuses interactions avec nos...
We are seeking a highly motivated medical doctor / PhD Scientist to join the Global Clinical...
Job Details New Search Return to Search Previous Job Next Job Send to a Friend Job 449 of...
Field Engineer Seismic Networks - Geoservices ( Job Number: 1818701) Field Engineer Seismic...
Customer Service Agent (m/f) [Assistant Commercial h / f ] Location: Lyon Job Code: 5314 # of...